Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Bathroom

Feel like sharing a poem inspired by drawing a map of my house...
The bathroom is
A crowded place.
There’s only one…

You step inside
For a private moment
Only to find it
otherwise occupied.

Emma is fixing her hair.
Abbie is brushing her teeth.
Connor is taking a shower.

No privacy here.

There is a dance
That has become
A part of life
In the bathroom

“I have to go”
Turn around
Face the wall
She has to go
She needs

Privacy

The bathroom is
A meeting place

“How was your day?”
“Did you pass your math test?”
“What’s new with you?”

Catching up.

I often think
That I would like
Another bathroom

Then I see
Three beautiful babies
Smiling at me
Through the frames
On the wall

This reminds me
That some day
I will be alone
In the bathroom
With all the privacy
In the world

Welcome chaos!
Welcome noise!
Welcome

To my bathroom.

3 comments:

  1. This takes me back to growing up in a one-bathroom house. It was always so much easier when we were on different schedules. I like the positive spin you put on it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the line, "There is a dance that has become a part of life." So true! Your poem is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bathroom is
    A meeting place----This piece was great, reminded me also of our childhood one bathroom house. We have two now, but only one upstairs for all of us, bc I wanted us to have to bump into each other once in a while :))
    http://parentingandpedagogy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete