Thursday, March 27, 2014

Goodbye Scale!!!

I have been trying (using this loosely) to lose weight for about 18 years now.  When I was young, I was a skinny little thing who could eat EVERYTHING in sight and not bat an eye.  I never gained a pound.  This lasted all the way through college.  Then I got pregnant with my oldest child and I ate so much!  :)  I thought I had a tapeworm before I knew I was pregnant.  LOL  I lost the weight after E, but then I was pregnant with C by the time E was one.  Whew!  I was crazy hungry again...  I tried to have self control, but it was an epic fail.  One day I ate a WHOLE box of turtles (and slept for 2 1/2 hours after).  Bad choice, but anyway...
I gained ten pounds less with C than with E.  I thought that was better, but the doctor was not as enthusiastic.  I lost most of the weight after C.
When I trained to be a literacy coordinator, I worked long hours and ate at odd times... lots of fast food.  I stress ate and ate when I was bored, happy, sad...  I ate my feelings and found a new all time high on the scale.  I was actually thinner when I was pregnant with A because of gestational diabetes than before I was pregnant.
The scale became something that I would step on time after time after time, worrying that what I saw would disappoint me.  It did...  I would lose, gain, lose, gain...
So now I am training for a triathalon.  I am not doing it alone.  I am the swimmer.  My sister is biking and my brother is running.  I have not weighed myself in awhile.  I refuse to.  I go to the gym at least three days a week.  I work out for 20 minutes, lift weights and swim for about 45 minutes.  I feel good.  I'm stronger and I have more energy.  I do like to see progress though, so instead of weighing myself, I am measuring myself and the inches are coming off.  :)  It's exciting!
I can see the bones in my feet, the muscle that runs along the front of my calf, and I can feel my jaw.  I am starting to feel the difference in my clothes.  I even went down a dress size!!!  :)  This is it for me.  I am not working out to lost weight.  I am doing it because it feels awesome!  I love to eat healthy because I feel good.  :)  I am finally making lifestyle changes for me and not for the scale.  I have never felt better about myself since I gained all the weight.  I am looking forward to getting stronger and faster and hopefully one day, I will be able to compete in a triathalon all by myself!  :)

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Deb. I am so proud of you and happy for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I'm so glad you are feeling so good about yourself and finding success. It truly is all about how you feel. You are definitely inspiring me to get off my butt and get healthy!

    ReplyDelete